Monday, August 26, 2013

"Hippified"

 
I am officially in 1006 Weeks St. Elizabeth City, NC 27909. This is a totally new experience. Everything I have ever been taught as a missionary hasn't been taught here. I am following up the training of elder Merkley. (He is the one eating the sandwich on my left.) We live in a house, which is nice an spacious even with all four of us in it. I am going crazy though. The way things are done on this side of the mission is completely different. To best explain it all I can say is that it is like it has been hippified. Everyone is all just about being happy and nobody cares about our progress or our numbers and we don't need to be held accountable to anything. It is driving me crazy. Luckily my companion is new and sees the benefit of the things I have been taught, so I can still have an influence there. I am doing my best to keep an open mind to all their ways and I am feeling around before I start opening my mouth and making suggestions or even asking questions. I just feel so lost. I definitely feel I know exactly why I am here though. I'm positive that President has put me here for a reason and I am going to do my best to make the most of it. We have a lot of work to do here. Well other than that this area seems to be alright. It is near the water which is nice and it also has a lot of Hispanics which is nice. This area hasn't been open to spanish missionaries for very long so we don't have the numbers I wish we had, but we are working on fixing that and getting things going here. The active Hispanics now are solid though and love to help us out so hopefully we can get a move on. We play soccer every friday night with lots of non-members which is looking like a great finding idea. There is a lot of potential out here, but it wont blossom over night. My companion is humble and we seem to get along just perfectly. The ward is a little unfriendly, but luckily I get to work with the nice humble hispanic group that loves everyone even if they can't speak your language. My first sunday here was odd. I had to translate everything including a temple recommend interview for a member. That was interesting especially since he had had a disciplinary council recently. It wasn't the warmest welcome, but that's okay.
I have so much I want to do and so much I need to do. I know I can help this district a lot and I can definitely help my companion a lot. I am excited to sprint through this finish line and collapse on the other side exhausted. I have only just begun. Um in your last email there was a lot to respond to so I hope I got most of it figured out. Oh president said he received the letter but hasn't had time to give it any consideration yet though. Maybe if Ryan's president can make a quick move on it first and contact my president then chances may be better. I'll keep addressing it with him though. Other than that I think that is all. I have a lot to learn and to teach. Its exciting stuff. Well I love you all and everything is going well. Dad make me the ward mission leader for the 3 months that I'm home and I'll whip that missionary work into shape. ;)
Con Amor,
Elder Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment