Monday, September 10, 2012

Quick and Humble

Well to be honest I don't really have a ton to tell you all this week. We worked hard and we saw some finding miracles in that we were able to run into some people that just allowed us to go in and teach them. In fact one evening we were out trying to find some former investigators and to see how they would feel about us coming back and the first door we knocked on no one was home, but we went across the street where a little Hispanic kid was peeking at us through the curtains and when we knocked on the door the kid opened it for us and told us to come in and talk with his dad. Well we started talking with the dad about our message and the restoration and at first he was very apprehensive about the whole thing, because he was just baptized in another church about three weeks ago. Well we continued and read some chapters out of the Book of Mormon with him about prophets and about how there will be a lot of false doctrine in the last days and all that jazz and as we got deeper into it and actually read with him his interest level completely changed. He began to explain to us how a prophet from his church came to his congregation one day and began to preach about how Christ never did miracles and that miracles don't happen anymore. Well he was confused because he was an avid reader of the Bible and he knew that wasn't right, but he told us that since the guy was a "prophet" there was no way he was going to argue with him in front of everyone. Soooo it hit him in the perfect spot that the Book of Mormon must have something true and that there really is a ton of false doctrine out there and I think he really wants to know whether or not this book has the truth. Well at first he wouldn't accept to take a book and read it because he wanted to search in the Bible first for things we were saying, but we were able to leave him a copy and commit him to read it and come to church. Well the next Sunday we were supposed to see Edgar and Bilma at church, but they weren't able to make it for some odd reason, but unexpectedly this man and his three little kids came about halfway through sacrament meeting. One of the best surprises for sure. They even stayed for all three hours and the kids went to primary. It was a miracle for sure.
Other than that not much has happened. The other English elder that is here that has been out 18 months gave me a timeline i will start to see. 1-8 months you have greeny fire, you don't know very much, you get a lot of mail and you learn a ton really fast. 9-14 months are the toughest months of the mission, you start to mature more and you become more of a leader and gain more responsibility without completely knowing everything and mail kind of goes into a slump. 15-18 months you know a lot more and you get the hang of things, you work hard, and people start remembering you are still on a mission and mail begins to pick up. 19-24 months the mail starts slowing down again because people figure you will be home soon anyway, you have become a good leader and helpful and slowly the trunkiness sets in. No matter who you are it happens. So it looks like I am going to be into the hardest part of the mission and yes, the mail has slowed down. :( But it doesn't bother me. The important people are pretty consistent writers I guess. That is: Wilson, Russell, old companions, and the monthly ward update. I stay focused and the work gets done. So there is the update on me. The companion and I are getting along well. He is very much country boy and loves old western songs, movies, guns, clothes, anything western. So we don't really relate when it comes to music or fashion, but we do great with everything else. It seems like so far all my companions have had rough family lives. Whether it be a divorce or a death in the family, or sinning siblings, they all have families that are struggling with something. I sure hope that the Lord isn't preparing me for something in the future, but allowing me to recognize the blessing I have of a wonderful family that does what it is supposed too. Obviously we aren't perfect and don't have our problems, but I have been incredibly blessed with the family I have been a part of. I don't know exactly why I have the companions I have, but it has been great and I am definitely learning things from each of them, even if it is only patience. ;) I sure hope the family is doing well and I'm glad to hear that Ryan is excited for school and working hard, hopefully. Sara is being a missionary, Primary is slowly growing, and Brianne is working hard and Jenni is rounding out. :) Love ya all.
Well that is all I have for now. I love you all very much. Thanks for the support.
Con Amor,
Elder Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment