Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas Give

CHRISTMAS GIVE! =)

MMMMMUUUUUAAAAAHHHHH. There is your virtual kiss. :) Hey tell the Elders thank you for the advice. I don't know Ingold, but thanks anyway. I'm guessing the other elders have been transferred by now. Anyway I think Christmas for both of us were very relaxed and awesome. But I'm certain that my sacrament meeting destroys yours. We all had one big meeting in the gym and there were 4 sacrament tables to pass out to the whole MTC. Then we had Elder Bednar speak and blow our minds. He literally changed my entire life. He spoke on our savior of course, but it was amazing. I wish you guys could have heard it. I'm not joking when I say he literally changed my life. He started off by saying that it is much more important that we don't remember what he says but what we feel as he speaks. Our work is about what we are and what we do, not what we say. He said that Preach My Gospel is not a manual, but something we all should become. Ryan focus on that and you will be a powerhouse missionary. Yo prometo.
Then he really started blowing our minds on the Savior. He quoted Neil Maxwell saying, "There would have been no atoning sacrifice without the character of Christ." What does that really mean? This really hit me because in my patriarchal blessing it talks a lot about how I need to really discover the characteristics of Christ so I can emulate the type of man he was.
So here's the golden question, what is the character of Christ. There are so many answers to that, but what Bednar spoke about hit me so hard and really stuck out to me. He said the Character of Christ is that He turns out compassion when the natural man would turn in. What is the natural man. We are and it is an enemy to God. All the things Christ did and went through and not once did he turn in and become selfish. He went on to give examples of modern day experiences of people that have shown that, but that is a question that we need to be able to ask ourselves. How can we not fall into the state of the natural man.
I have learned that in our lives we make a lot of TURNS, not just IN. We turn away from God when we sin, and we reTURN to him when we repent. As we go through life we all need to learn to look up and around and not just forward because we should want to be like Christ and only turn outward. He went on to talk a lot more about life changing things that maybe I'll write to you soon, but that was so powerful I had to share.
Well family, I love you all very much and I hope Christmas is just wonderful. One more thing, Elder Bednar left us with a blessing and said that if we will continue to feast on these words and strive to know more we will NEVER fall away. Well my time is running out. I love you all. Have a very Merry Christmas!!! Keep the lovin' coming. :)
xoxoxoxoxoxo
Elder Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment