Tuesday, September 3, 2013

So much work, so little time

Well to start I must say I am a little depressed that SLC would shut that opportunity down so quickly. My mission president didn't even get a chance to really look at it. Well it's a bummer, but I guess there is nothing we can do about it. This first week here in Elizabeth City has been kind of rough. The area is so new to spanish work and so is my companion that I have so much to get moving. I guess it keeps my mind busy on better things than being trunky. :) It seems like the hispanic population out here isn't as big as I had hoped which doesn't make it easier, but there is always a ton of less active work to do as well as giving solid english referrals to the two other sets of english missionaries that serve here in the ward with us. As I serve the people here in this small town I often ask myself why would I get sent to the South of all places to be a spanish speaking missionary? What am I needing to learn? To be honest I don't know if I'll ever find out the answer. I do know it is hard work though. I did a study the other day on how to specify my faith. In fact a big part of my study was finding the faith to find and what I received revelation on was that it all connects to the Atonement. Yes, I realize that is a pretty broad response to my question, but as much as I don't like to accept it I know that when Elder Holland said the most important convert on a mission is yourself I understood how much I need to be feeling the atonement daily to know that my faith to find is increasing. My experiences with the atonement + sharing those experiences at every doorstep = increased faith to find. Why? Because I understand more of the atonement in my own life and how it can help others so just like Enos my desire to share it changes, thus I will be that much more willing to get out and find people to teach. Maybe that made sense maybe it didn't, but I guess it did in my mind.
Anyway basically to sum everything up I have a lot of work to do still and not much time to do it. We have found a few people this week and had some success getting recent converts to share the gospel, but the work is no where near where we want it for the spanish work at least. I don't really have much else to update you on. I love you all and hope everything is going well. Keep working hard and I'm dead serious about putting me as WML and I'll get those missionaries going as well as the work in the short time I'll be home. ;) Well if I can do anything for you all let me know. Hasta luego!
Con Amor,
Elder Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment