Monday, September 9, 2013

Pretty Good Week

Hey family we had a pretty good week. Everything didn't happen exactly as we had planned, but we had more success this week than last. Our finding has been a little rough due to the super prideful Hispanics in this area, but we are working hard. This week I had two run-ins with Hispanics that wouldn't budge even if an angel slapped them in the face with the Book of Mormon. I did my best to stay calm and just testify, but they denied that I even had a testimony, so that is when things got a little hairy. I stopped her from going any further and simply, boldly stated what I know to be true and how sad I was to hear that she could be so satisfied with having so little knowledge of the gospel because she isn't willing to even try to learn more. It was a an awkward situation from there because I stopped the lesson from going any further into the pit of anti where she was angry and frustrated by calling her out on how she was frustrated that I was confounding her craziness and then continued by praising her for her testimony of Jesus Christ and how she loves the Bible and that she eve let us in her home. I am glad that I went that direction though because even though she didn't want anything more to do with our beliefs she lightened up and fed us a delicious cat fish meal. Needless to say she isn't being taught anymore, but her son, who is a recent convert, will be getting our visits. Elizabeth City is a crazy place. I feel that 20 years ago this was a rich beautiful community and now it has turned into the hood. It really is quite a sad thing to see, because the remnants of a beautiful outer-banks city are all around the place, but since then it has been "ghetto-fied".
Anyway besides that we did have some good things happen. We set a young couple with a baptismal date for the middle of October. so we are still finding some elect fellows among this craziness. :)
We have been trying to work closer with members, but we only have like 4 Spanish members so it isn't the most productive. I feel like I've opened up this area for the first time. The last elder here didn't leave me with much to work with. My companion is so new he likes to just watch me and learn. Hopefully Ill get him leading a lot more things. Maybe that is why I am here.
Well I'm glad to see the family is doing so well. I am excited to see that new temple video when I get back. Oh speaking of that, did yall get a call from the mission office about what airport I am supposed to be flying into. They called me about it and I wasn't sure what we had decided so I gave them Mom and Dad's cell numbers. I hope that all got situated.
Well other than that I guess I shall answer Sara's questions.
When it comes to types of stereotypes I'm not sure what they want. What first comes to mind is the stereotype that black people like fried chicken and watermelon which can be seen all over the south in any KFC or Bojangles. Another stereotype is sweet tea and the typical southern family. Another stereotypical thing to see is a Mormon family with more than 4 or 5 kids. I guess there are a ton of stereotypes if you just think of every culture and what first comes to mind. The way I would react to all of them is with laughter and pointing a finger saying "well that's stereotypical!" hahahaha I hope that answers your question baby sister. I love you a ton as well. Keep working hard and get good grades  :)
Con Amor,
Elder Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment