Monday, August 20, 2012

Service is power



Sorry to hear things have been really rough out there lately. I can attest to the whole missionary connection with the ward thing. It is rough being with members that don't want to do missionary work, but when missionaries aren't doing things they should it really has an effect on everyone. Well I hope that they bring in two more young missionaries to the ward to help yall out.
Well the Spanish is going really well. I am sooooooo glad I get this opportunity to learn this language. I'm always wondering what the Lord has in store for me for having me serve him in another language. What could my future entail with this new conocimiento. Oh and for my council on dating I guess all I can say is ALWAYS leave in big groups, never steady date, and go frequently. I look back at my dumb teenage life and how I could have been so much better. Not that I was absolutely horrible, but now that I see things from a different angle I can really understand why it is important to just do what the prophet says. We as humans make black and white things into gray areas, and there really is no gray areas in the things that come from God. I have seen the new for the strength of youth pamphlets and they are written plainly and perfectly. All I can say is just enjoy life and trust me the more the merrier.  
Anyway, this week has been pretty crazy for us too. Today is my last day with Elder Munoz, he is getting transferred to who knows where. So tomorrow I'll have a new companion and then to mix things up even more they are bringing in two more English missionaries. So the Mount Olive ward will have 4 missionaries and we will all be living in this same house. It is going to be hectic, but I guess in can pretty nice to going back to only focusing on Spanish work. These last two transfers sure have flown by. I sure am loving Mount Olive though. Oh yeah we also just got a new bishopric and the new bishop here is soooooo fired up. I can't believe how great he is doing when it comes to getting missionary work done and everything. Our first ward council with him he had us give the spiritual thought beforehand and then when he got up to get things rolling he started by reading out of Preach My Gospel what the ward council meeting is supposed to be about and its relation to the missionary work. It was the best thing I had ever heard. He had us go over our weekly report like usual, but for every investigator that we thought was coming along well and needed help he asked directly how the ward could help in whatever cause possible. It was just so amazing to me to have a functioning ward council finally that realizes the importance of this work. Anyway we haven't had too much happen this week. One really great experience was we met a man who is very well known in the community and is running for county commissioner. Well we contacted him and he took us up on an offer to do some service for him. We showed up to his house and we figured a man of his position and wealth he would never have us do something for him, especially as a nonmember too. Well he was a little hesitant, but eventually saw we were eager to work and help so he took us in his backyard and we went to work clearing out a shed he had that was disgusting. It was a dirtier job than he expected, but it was way good to be able to serve this wonderful man. Well throughout doing service we were able to talk obviously and even teach him the restoration and the plan of salvation. I ended up asking him why a man in his situation, so content with life, would ask the questions he asked. Well he said that becoming larger in the community he has come to a stage in life where he is more about others and its not me me me all the time. Well he ended up taking us to lunch and accepting a Book of Mormon. It was such a great morning and a very unexpected opportunity. We do so much service out here in this area, but when it is for nonmembers it is the best feeling and the best chance to help these people understand who we are. I am so glad I get to serve here and I am going to hate to leave it. I feel bad for my companion. 
Well other than that the only good experience I had was receiving a wonderful package from the fam. Thank you so much for the funny cards and the inspiring ones too. It is definitely super nice to get some candy every once in a while to munch on. I love you all very much and am super grateful for everything yall do. Keep up the good work and know you are in my prayers. 
Con Amor,
Tu hijo amado,
Elder Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment